• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Micha6:8

Micha6:8

Berean Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Learning my bible as if it's the last one on earth.
  • Regirstration Type:Open Discussion only

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Joel if you think my post deserves its own thread feel free to make it so.

Although my post has nothing to do with Pat Robinson I felt it could be a relevent place to post. I will say Pat lost me long ago when he denied the literal creation in Genesis as 6 24 hour solar days. My post conserns another mainstream teacher by the name of Rick Warren. I've been trying research this man and there are statements by him and about him all over the place. What I can gather is he has been charged with preaching universalism. Now it appears he is reporting that he is not. He claims he is building bridges between faiths but saying Jesus is the only way. He's very confusing because he seems to say that as a Christian, Jesus is the only way. I only bring him up because he seems to be gaining momentum as a world religious leader and says some right things and crazy things and wrong things. At this point I don't know what he believes. Is he misunderstood or is he a wolf in sheeps skin? I'm not really sure we should be locking arms with other faiths that are enemies of the cross. At the same time I do believe we should strive to live at peace with all men. Is this what he is doing or is crossing the line? Can we say the world loves him? Or is he exactly what the bible prophecys about end time teachers? 2 Tim 4:3,4
Michael

#2 LoganMM

LoganMM

Berean Regular

• CCP
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Spending time with my wife, and teaching children about Jesus.
  • Regirstration Type:CCP

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hey Michael,

I don't think there is any doubt that Rick Warren is a wolf in sheeps clothing. To list all the crazy things that man has done would take a long time. If you want to read up on his exploits, check out this site.

http://www.lighthous...lsresearch.com/

there are also a few books that cover him in depth.

Warren Smith has written two, "A Wonderful Deception" and "Decieved on Purpose"

Roger Oakland covers him in his book, "Faith Undone"

and Ray Yungen does as well in "A Time of Departing"

I don't recall his name, but there is a guy who wrote a book about Rick Warren in an effort to sing his praises and was subsequently lambasted by Warren and Saddleback. I think it was called, "Rick Warren, America's Pastor". This man basically hero worships warren and sets out to tout his virtues by recounting all the things he has done or been involved in. The only problem is that anyone with a shred of discernment who read his work saw that Warren was nothing more than a new ager with a baptist background. Rick Warren is brilliant, make no mistake. There is a reason he magnitizes crowds and generally has such appeal to massive audiences. But the fact remains that he is completely outside the bounds of biblical christianity. For example he had 3 new age guru's(doctors) share his pulpit for a year to take his congregation through a diet plan that would revitalize their lives. He called it the "Daniel Plan", if you are interested there is tons of info on the web about it.

Blessings,

#3 Micha6:8

Berean Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

I want to thank you Logan for directing me to that website. I ordered For Many Shall Come In My Name by Ray Yungen. I have also found some actual video's of Rick Warren speaking so there are no misunderstanding that. Here is a transcript of a 5 min interview on the Colbert Report that my friend Ben sent me the video of. http://www.colbertna...008/rick-warren

Colbert: Now before we go any further, the purpose of life does derive you’re basing this on biblical truths, right?
Warren: Absolutely.
Colbert: Ok, let’s explain to the kids out there that God does exist, that God does love you. Because their image

of God from the MTVs and the Nintendos is like some vengeful monkey who’s throwing barrels at Super Mario.
Warren: (laughs)
Colbert: They don’t know who God is. Who is God Rick?
Warren: “God is creator, and He created the entire universe just so that He could create this galaxy, just so that

He could create this planet, just so it tilted at the right axis so that it wouldn’t burn up or freeze up, to sustain human life, because

He wanted to create human beings. He wanted to create you to love you. He loves even Stephen Colbert.
Colbert: Oh, I believe that.
Colbert: He created me in His image, and I sure love me.
Colbert: Now but that galaxy earth thing, that sounds like the gospel according to Carl Sagan.
Colbert: I mean, are you a fundamentalist preacher?
Warren: No.

Colbert: You’re not.
Warren: No. A fundamentalist is somebody who stops listening. There are fundamentalist Christians, Jews, Muslims, atheist, and secularists.

It’s an attitude that doesn’t listen to anyone else.
Colbert: Well I don’t want to hear any of that. What I want to hear is that you say every word of the bible is inerrant.
Warren: I do believe that
Colbert: So we should stone gay people?
Colbert: It says so in Leviticus, we should do that.
Warren: Who are your writers?
Colbert: Uh…. Who are my writers? I’ve got none tonight except the inerrant word of God. I mean, you’ve got a very friendly God, don’t

get me wrong. The God you describe very friendly, very casual, probably doesn’t wear a tie either,
Colbert: Your God is a lot like Jimmy Buffett.
Colbert: He’s very, very…He’s low key. Paradise is Margaritaville.
Colbert: Why do you think people respond? Is it because the god you describe is not vengeful?
Warren: No. There’s nothing in [The Purpose Driven Life] that historic Christianity hasn’t said for the past 2,000 years. I just said it in a very

simple way. It took me, actually, 7 months, about 12 hours a day, to write the book, and I spent about half the day just trying to make the sentences shorter.

So if it was a 17 word sentence, how could I say it in 9? If it was a 9 word sentence, how can I say it in 5? Einstein once said that if you can’t say something in a

simple way, you don’t really understand it.

Colbert: The sub-question of [The Purpose Driven Life], is “what on earth am I here for?” What do you think the purpose of life is?

Is it individual, or do you believe in something like the Baltimore catechism where we’re here to know God, to love God, to serve God?
Warren: Well I do believe that. One of the things that the Bible teaches is that this life’s not all there is. You’re going to spend more time

on that side of eternity than on this side. You get 60, 80, maybe 100 years on this side, you’re gonna get trillions of years on that side.

This side is preparation for the next. And there are things that we’re going to do in heaven that God says, “I want you to practice here so

that you’re not a dufus when you get there.”

Colbert: What is the purpose of every day? Can I say what my purpose is? “My purpose is to shout at people that I

disagree with.” Am I living my purpose, Rick?
Warren: You know, when you be who God made you to be, that makes God smile. I used to think that God only smiles

when we’re doing, like, spiritual stuff: confessing, going to church, reading the Bible, things like that. But actually God

gets enjoyment out of watching you be you. When my kids were little, I used to watch them sleep at night. And their little

chests would rise and lower, rise and lower, and I got so much pleasure out of that, ‘cause I made ‘em. I’m their daddy. And

when you be who God made you to be, a dufus…. When you be you, God looks down and goes, “that’s my boy.”

Colbert: Let me ask you something. If you ask Jesus to come into your life, will He?
Warren: Absolutely.
Colbert: If you ask Jesus to come onto your show, will He do that too?
Colbert: Because I’m having a hard time booking guests right now.
Warren: I have connections.

I find it very curious that the only person who brought Jesus into the conversation is Colbert and mockingly at that which Rick thought was very funny. Ya know all this time when I thought God was bringing me to repentance because me being me was killing me now and damning me to hell for eternity and that he was calling me to live a life of repentance and holiness to Glorify him in all my ways and thoughts, wow I had it wrong all this time.....NOT!
Michael

#4 henrydmilligan

henrydmilligan

Berean Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Regirstration Type:Full membership

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

The way is broad that leads to destruction and there are many who go on it..

#5 Joel

Joel

Forum Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Regirstration Type:Full membership

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Created from posts from biblical Prophecy.

#6 LoganMM

LoganMM

Berean Regular

• CCP
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Spending time with my wife, and teaching children about Jesus.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

No problem Michael.

While I do really like "A Time of Departing" and Ray himself, I would say that Warren Smith's two books really shine a light on what Rick Warren is all about better than any other books. Warren Smith is a former New Ager who was marvelously saved out of the Occult by some old lady who challenged him to read the gospels and see if the "jesus" he believed in was anything like the Jesus as described by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Having the background he does, he really zeroes in on the occult trappings of the whole purpose drive movement and some leaders in the emerging church as well.

I imagine A Time of Departing will only whet your appetite, but if I might make a suggestion to you, and anyone interested in researching this stuff, it would be this. Read enough material and do as much research as it takes to disarm the arguments people involved in this stuff might use, and also know enough to point out the occult and unbiblical underpinnings of these systems. After that focus on what is true. You will be far more able to defend the truth if that is what is saturating your heart and mind. It can get downright depressing to slog through this stuff.

Blessings to you,
-Logan

#7 LoganMM

LoganMM

Berean Regular

• CCP
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Here is yet another chapter in the Rick Warren saga. Before reading this article, ask yourself this. Would I be party to an interfaith coalition with Muslims? I don't know how anyone who has even a cursory understanding of the Koran could claim that the god described therein is the same God as has revealed Himself in the bible.

Check this out

http://m.ocregister....saddleback.html

-Blessings

#8 Micha6:8

Berean Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

Yup. Exactly. I'm not taking up arms against the muslims over their false religion, but if the saddleback church leaders start telling their Muslim friends that they are living in sin and will certainly spend eternity apart from God in everlasting torment because they have rejected Jesus then I guarantee the coalition he's trying to build will crumble. Here's what The Berean Call wrote: http://www.theberean...bridges-muslims
Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users