• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Micha6:8

Micha6:8

Berean Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Learning my bible as if it's the last one on earth.
  • Regirstration Type:Open Discussion only

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Luke 17:22
22 Then He said to the disciples, “The days will come when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it.

I'm trying to understand the use of the word "days" and "see". I am just starting to dabble in the greek and I see that in this verse there is"The days/hēmerai will come" and "you will desire to see one of the days/hēmerōn". Now I know that they are both using the root word hémera which means "a day" or "the period from sunrise to sunset" or "a time" or "year". My question regarding the time: Is this saying there will be a time when the disciples will wish they could see one of the actual 24 hour periods during the tribulation period or is it refering to multiple years of the tribulation? OR Is this referring to the time leading up to it? My inclination is that it means the actual 24 hours days just before Jesus' return.

Also in this chapter in verse 26 and 27 he uses the word "days/hēmerais". What is the literal use of the different words for day here and does the difference really make a difference in the context?

My other questions refers to the word "you will desire to "see/eidó" and "you will not see/horaó" in the Apostolic Bible Polyglot and optanomai in the Scrivener 1894 TR edition". I understand eido = perceive by understanding. ref: Matt 24:36, Luke 201:20. Horao = to discern or look upon ref: Luke 16:23. Optanomai = to see with eye wide open in amazement. Luke 22:27. I am leaning to Optanomai since this is the way it used in Luke 22:27 concerning the same exact subject. What do you guys think?

I do enjoy looking at the different greek word uses and after hearing Tim explaining Matt 24 in the difference in the word "know" there I have been hook by it. Thanks Tim!
Michael

#2 Micha6:8

Berean Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:16 AM

Let me rephrase my questions. What does Jesus mean when he says "days will come when the disciles will desire to see one of the ONE of the days and not see it"? I don't understand what he mean he means the day or time will come when they will want to see but won't. I also don't understand what "one of the days" means exactly either.

Sorry if my original post is confusing.
Michael

#3 LoganMM

LoganMM

Berean Regular

• CCP
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Spending time with my wife, and teaching children about Jesus.
  • Regirstration Type:CCP

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hey Michael,

This is a good question. If you take a look at Tim's Oasis site, under the "Life of Jesus Christ" section you will find a series of messages going chronologically through Jesus' life and ministry. #'s 78, and 79 talk about these verses in detail, and that might help.

I'll come back and fill in my understanding of these passages later as I am able.

Blessings to you,

-Logan

#4 Micha6:8

Berean Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yeah I'm current on the studies. I listened to #80 again this morning. So I understand that Jesus was talking to the disciples. I understand that usually that means it's for us too due to the great commission. The wording is throwing me. Given the context of verse 23 & 24 does he mean we will be looking forward to the time after we go into safety? If so why would we not see it? Also the Greek words for day and see are different.

Michael

#5 LoganMM

LoganMM

Berean Regular

• CCP
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Spending time with my wife, and teaching children about Jesus.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hey Michael,

Lets see if we can't get to the bottom of this. I think what problem may be is that verse 22 is directed to the disciples and as such you are applying it to us who are alive now. Here is why I don't think this is necessary. There is no command(which definitely would apply to us, as per the great commission) given in verse 22, just a statement of fact that those disciples would desire to see Jesus' Coming again, and would not see it. His command doesn't come in until the next verse and is relative to other people saying, "Look here!" or "Look there!". His command is not to follow those people but to wait for the unmistakable sign of the Son of Man like lightening flashing across the sky. Here are the verses again from the NKJV.

22 Then He said to the disciples, “The days will come when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it. 23 And they will say to you, ‘Look here!’ or ‘Look there!’ Do not go after them or follow them. 24 For as the lightning that flashes out of one part under heaven shines to the other part under heaven, so also the Son of Man will be in His day.

Jesus put several qualifications as to when His return would be, one in particular that would be a hindrance to their seeing "one of the days of the Son of Man" would be the gospel being preached to all the nations.

14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.(Matt. 24:14)

So, while they would be diligent in their(and our) commission to make disciple, baptize, preach the gospel... they would know that until the gospel had gone out into all the earth they wouldn't see the return of Jesus. Even still they would desire to see it.

Another qualifier He put on His coming would be great apostasy and the revealing of antichrist.

4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.(Matt. 24:4-5)

10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.(Matt. 24:10-12)

Just as Jesus warned His disciples that these things must take place first, Paul reiterates these same things when believers in the Thessalonian church seem to be believing false reports as if from Paul.

1 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ[a] had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin[b] is revealed, the son of perdition(2 Thess. 2:1-3)

As to the question of what will happen in the places of safety... I don't know. I do know that every eye will see Him when he returns flashing across the sky and will be caught up to Him then, but I don't think deceivers will be getting the call to flee and as such have opportunity to call people away from safety to see their supposed Christ's which are not Christ at all. And also, not everyone will be fleeing to places of safety. Some will probably try to witness against the antichrist, and will most likely be martyred for it, others will not have been preparing and praying to be counted worthy and as such will undergo tribulation.

34 “But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. 35 For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy[c] to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.(Luke 21:34-36)”

Blessings to you

-Logan

#6 Micha6:8

Berean Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

So let's see if I understand this. I'll paraphrase this in my words to see if it fits.

Jesus is saying to his diciples, "There will be times when you will desire to see the signs of the days when I, the Son of Man, am coming back but you, my diciples, will not see those days. Nevertheless, teach those that believe your message about me that there will be many false prophets that will try and trick them to believing I, the Son of Man, am back and they need to go out and see. Teach them not to believe that. They will see me coming in this way. For as the lightning that flashes out of one part under heaven shines to the other part under heaven, so also the Son of Man will be in His day."

Do I have it?
Michael

#7 LoganMM

LoganMM

Berean Regular

• CCP
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

That is a much more succinct way of putting yes. In any case i believe this is what he is telling them.

-Logan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users