• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LoganMM

LoganMM

Berean Regular

• CCP
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Spending time with my wife, and teaching children about Jesus.
  • Regirstration Type:CCP

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Did anyone else find it interesting that twice(so far, I have only watched up to Doughty's second session) Bro Doughty referenced the song by Issac Watts, "Joy to the World"? The reason this was so interesting to me, and clearly unintentional by Bro Doughty is that "Joy to the World", even though it is mostly sung at Christmas, is clearly a song depicting the SECOND COMING of Christ to restore the creation and rule the nations. I am sure many of you are familiar with the song, but take a look at the words and see for yourself which eschatalogical view they seem to fit with(which isn't to imply that we base anything on the views of Issac Watts, just that this song corroborates one of the two views).

1. Joy to the world! The Lord is come.
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room;
And heav’n and nature sing,
And heav’n and nature sing.
And heav’n and heav’n and nature sing.

2. Joy to the world, the Savior reigns
Let men their songs employ.
While fields and floods, rocks, hills, and plains
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat the sounding joy
Repeat the sounding joy

3. No more let sin and sorrowsgrow,
Nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found,
Far as the curse is found,
Far as, far as the curse is found.

4. He rules the world with truth and grace,
And makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness.
And wonders of His love,
And wonders of His love,
And wonders, wonders of His love.

So lets see...
1. The earth recieves her King. That would be Jesus coming back to the earth. Matthew 24
2. Every heart prepares Him room. This would imply to me that there are some who aren't destroyed with the armies coming to the valley of Megiddo, and aren't among those believers raised at Jesus' coming(I think it is obvious that these have already made every available space in their heart for the Lord Jesus). Isaiah 54
3. It is at this point the Savior reigns. As per Matthew 25, Psalm 110...
4. People are singing praise for, and the Physical created order is rejoicing over their release from the curse it was subjected to. Romans 8:18-25
5. Jesus is ruling the world with truth and grace, but how will he make the nations prove the glories of His righteousness? Maybe by coming up to Jerusalem to keep the Feast of Tabernacles(Zechariah 14), and seeing the righteous judgement of those who took the mark of the beast and worshiped his image(Revelation 14)?

I was flabbergasted when i realized that Bro Doughty was using a song that depicts Jesus ruling over the earth, from the earth, as per the Abrahamic and Davidic Covenants to deride Bro Tim for his view(Which is consistent with the song)concerning what is to come.

Perhaps there is a spiritual interpretation to this song as well. If there is, I have never heard of it, but I do look forward to the day our great God and Savior Jesus Christ sits upon His glorious throne and reigns. In that day we won't be singing this song because we are looking forward to that day, but because it has come at last.

-Logan

#2 Joel

Joel

Forum Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Regirstration Type:Full membership

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

It is funny.

The hymn could promote either Premillennialism or Postmillennialism/Dominionism. It is utterly incompatible with Amillennialism however.

#3 LoganMM

LoganMM

Berean Regular

• CCP
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Spending time with my wife, and teaching children about Jesus.
  • Regirstration Type:CCP

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

i wonder if Bro Doughty would still love the song so much if he knew all the words? This song was one of many contradictions. Another would be his charge against leapfrog premillennialists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users